more than just another bike blog

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Wake Up Call

We were riding in Livermore today when we came upon the scene of a terrible accident. One of our riders is a veteranarian, so she was able to provide some medical assistance until the paramedics arrived. I've seen so many bike accidents, but I've never seen anything quite like this.

Everytime we hop on the bike, we place so much trust in others -- the technology, cars, fellow riders, the weather, ourselves. And most of the time they don't fail us. Today was a grim reminder that once in a while they can fail in a big way.

I'm not one for prayers, but my heart-felt thoughts are with Pat Caurant today and during his recovery.

ps -- also a reminder to have emergency contact information readily available on your body or in your phone. Pat's riding buddies had a heck of a time trying to find a contact. Also, if you have any medical conditions, list them as well. As fredish as this seems, ROAD ID is a great idea.

6 Comments:

At 7/02/2006 11:44 AM, Blogger X Bunny said...

reminds me again of what my coach always says

1. be safe
2. have fun
3. do well

in that order

 
At 7/02/2006 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree!

 
At 7/02/2006 7:25 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

oops, coach says i misquoted him

#3 should be 'go fast'

 
At 7/02/2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Sounds familiar. I always tell clients and teammates:

1. have fun
2. be safe
3. go hard

 
At 7/02/2006 8:45 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Well, shoot! When I arrived, I asked the guys if they'd called the LOCAL dispatch number (I have all the counties programmed into my phone) and they said they called 911 and I didn't need to call. I should have called anyways.

Definitely in my thoughts and many other folks too.

 
At 7/10/2006 10:33 AM, Blogger Dennis said...

RIP Pat: friend, fellow teacher, former teammate. I've posted a memorial entry on my blog. http://guikema.blogspot.com

~ Dennis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home