more than just another bike blog

Friday, June 23, 2006

I got a new dog today!


No, I didn't get rid of Julie. But I finally learned how to communicate with her.

See, we dropped out of puppy school (two years ago) because she/I couldn't focus. So, she's had the rule of the roost every since. She's very sweet, but I've never been able to control her off leash (and she's got a few other negative behaviours too).

My friend Ya-Chen recommended Bark Busters. You pay one fee and they train your dog (and you) in your home in one visit. But, they have a life-time guarantee, so if your dog ever exhibits negative behaviours again, they'll come back as many times as you need.

Sounded good, but it was expensive. And if I couldn't teach Julie to sit & stay during four lessons and puppy school, how could we do it in one lesson?

Well, I finally got desparate. I didn't love my dog anymore because she was driving me crazy. So today, Peter Levy came and changed our lives. The premise of the program is that you need to learn three simple ways to communicate with your dog (praise, command, and reprimand) and establish yourself as the leader, relieving your dog of that responsibility.

Two hours later, I have a brand new, obedient, happy dog!

3 Comments:

At 6/23/2006 1:45 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

and it works with boys, too!

 
At 6/23/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

it does?

 
At 6/23/2006 5:33 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Hmmm....it's been so long since I've had a boy on a leash, I can't really remember.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home