more than just another bike blog

Monday, June 26, 2006

Livin' the Car-Free Life


I lived car-free for two years. It was more an economic decision while I changed careers than a political statement. It's definitely challenging on the peninsula (especially during the period when CalTrain eliminated weekend service), but it was do-able.

During that period, I commuted by bike while I returned to college (50 miles round trip). But, my social life changed drastically. I no longer went dancing in the city. I rarely went to parties. I didn't do much of anything at night because it meant riding my bike and bringing clothes and where to part, etc. Come to think about it, that's about the time I stopped dating altogether -- hmmm. If I had a true commute bike at that point it might've been different. But, I still went to races, was able to coach, and somehow found a way to get everywhere I needed to be (although now I was dependent on others -- something I didn't like to feel).

Anyways, I've been driving way too much lately. I try to rationalize my car trips by combining errands. But there really isn't a reason for me to drive half as much as I do.

I've been trying to ride more for transportation. I get allery shots two days a week at a medical facility just a mile from my house. Well, they don't have a bike rack, but they'll let me bring my bike into the office -- works for me. I've been riding to work at the bike shop with Julie in tow (4 miles round trip) when I don't have to haul too much stuff. I've even started riding to my rides again (I know, it's silly to drive to a ride when it's only 8 miles from my house).

And riding my touring bike on Mondays is good recovery, even with Julie on the back!!!

1 Comments:

At 6/27/2006 1:10 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

i went without a car for one quarter in college

very difficult

especially since it was one of the wettest winters on record...

but good for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home