more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

before there was pink


I just stumbled upon this photo -- Cinderella 2002. Velo Girls had been in existence about one month. We didn't have jerseys yet so we wrote www.velogirls.com on our legs in black magic marker tri-style. Many of the women in the club first heard about Velo Girls by reading our legs. Oh, and we also labeled about 2,000 tootsie pops with little stickers with the URL and an invitation to come ride with us. We gave them out after the ride and put them on the windsheilds of cars. Those were the days.....guerilla marketing at it's finest.

Oh, and for those of you who think pink must be my favorite color....W-R-O-N-G-O!!! I didn't own any pink pre-Velo Girls. There was nothing pink in my house, nothing pink in my closet, and nothing pink in my vocabulary. I'll admit I had a pretty orange and yellow flowery shimmel and glitter sunscreen on under my black top in that photo, but no pink. I just picked pink because I wanted to establish an identity that was so far removed from all the traditionally male-oriented cycling clubs with their blue, green, red, black, grey veneers.

3 Comments:

At 11/16/2006 7:59 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I love the Cinder, my first was 1989.

I ate so much before, during, and after the ride since someone said we would burn off so many calories...funny...I think we gained weight during that first century...

 
At 11/17/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i love that picture! you guys look like you're having lots of fun.

 
At 11/17/2006 9:10 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Your blog is a knock-out these days. Love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home