more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

can I have just one more day?

It's Wednesday. I'm exhausted. I need a weekend. Thank goodness I didn't race on Saturday.

Sunday was the best race ever, put on by the fabulous Velo Bellas. I love the Bellas. Actually, if I weren't a Velo Girl, I'd be a Bella. Which reminds me of a funny story. One of the first times I met X-bunny was in a crit this spring. I'd been reading her blog so I felt as if I knew her. We were in the crit and I ride up to her and introduce myself and say something about the flair and how I love the bellas. She tells me I'm on the wrong team (not really knowing who I am, of course). But I'm drifting.....



Back to the race. Andi Mackie invited me to be part of her group for the costume race, which included Amy Abele and Betty Jordan (one of my heroes). We were the go-go girls and did the costume race in mini-dresses, wigs, and 4-inch heels (I kid you not). It was great fun and I couldn't believe we didn't kill ourselves in the heels.



Then, the other reason I was there, the woman's race. Long story short, I loved the course (except the run-up from hell) and raced well. I was in a little pack of five for the race, made some really good tactical moves, made a couple of stupid mistakes, and we all finished together within about a minute (and only a minute down on the 2nd place racer -- 1st place was way ahead and should be racing As). Probably one of my better races and I left it all laying out there on the course.

Monday I took a dirt jumping clinic with Chris Duncan. Not sure what my expectations were, but we didn't do a lot. The instructor was funny though. I did a couple of things that scared me and learned a couple of new things, but all in all I was a bit disappointed.

Monday evening, I had a cool house guest. His name is Dom Gill and he's a 26 year old from Great Britian who's riding from the top to the bottom of the world (Prudoe Bay, Alaska to South America). What's so interesting about him is that he's doing this trip solo on a tandem and picking up riders along the way. And he's filming everything for a documentary.

Tuesday I rode the tandem with Dom to Moss Beach. I'd left my road bike there with Tom & Jenny Feix on Sunday night. The tandem ride was excellent and erased the bad memories I had from my one and only tandem ride a million years ago (long story, 2nd date with someone I wasn't interested in). We rode great together and the descent on 92 was killer (we topped out over 50mph and could've passed a ton of cars). I'm amazed I was able to relinquish control as the stoker, but I guess after 4,000 miles I realized I could trust my captain not to kill me.

From Moss Beach, we rode together (Dom on the tandem, me on my road bike) to San Gregorio where we stopped at the SG Store for a late lunch/snack. I then rode back to San Mateo via the 14-mile climb/grind on 84. I was freezing my ass off descending 84 and made it home just in time for sunset, logging almost 80 miles for the day.

So, today I'm tired. I have a ton of email and other work to catch up on and I don't have a lot of mental energy. But the weekend sure was fun!

ps -- once again I can't upload images to blogger. does anyone have any hints? the only work-around I've found is to load the images first (before I write any text). bizarre.

14 Comments:

At 11/01/2006 2:26 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

it took me 6 tries to upload one picture to blogger today--just keep trying i guess

i didn't realize you were one of the gals in the 60's outfits--you gals were hot! pab thought maybe you were supposed to be the go-go's...

my heels were only 2 inches and that was pretty difficult--not just for riding but for the run-up as i am sure you noticed!

 
At 11/01/2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

okay, I'll fess up. we skipped the big run up. but we still did the little ones.

 
At 11/01/2006 3:05 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

VG - congrats on your race

xb - as if that run up in heels was hard for you what without having to push a bike or anything...

and the person who won the Bs has never raced anything before ever. No road or mtb. She was a mountain bike guide before moving to Santa Cruz, but we all know thats not the same as racing. I think she is in the right race category. For now anyway.

and knowing that Xbun made that team comment to you makes me giggle.

 
At 11/01/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Not a sandbagger comment about Mary Anne -- I just think she's talented and has the potential to race As.

 
At 11/01/2006 4:36 PM, Blogger EB said...

That tandem ride sounds like a great way to celebrate Halloween -- scary. I rode on one once but B & I almost killed each other. And almost died. But not at the same time...

 
At 11/01/2006 8:05 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

my images are uploading slow too. seems to work better either really late at night or really early in the am - but 1 by 1.

i like your tandem story. tandems are fun.

morgan and i rode a tandem for 2 weeks straight on our honeymoon. i don't recommend that to anyone.

 
At 11/02/2006 10:20 AM, Blogger marscat said...

you look superb in that dress!

 
At 11/02/2006 10:51 AM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

love the picutres. You guys look fabulous

 
At 11/02/2006 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

groovy pictures!

 
At 11/02/2006 2:41 PM, Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

I load them to another empty post. then copy the html over after they both are saved then move them. Also at first if they dont seem as though they are there you might need to click a bit in the text window to get them to show themselves. All on the HTML tab...

Cant complain, it is free and has spellcheck.......

 
At 11/02/2006 3:18 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

The go-gos were great...it took me a while to figure out who was who...and yes, blogger was edgy with the upload but better lately...

 
At 11/02/2006 5:00 PM, Blogger Groove Talking... said...

I wish I could have skipped the big run up!

Thanks for visiting my blog velogirl, I had a great time at the race. I am now in the market for a pink cross bike, my hubby is so proud.

I posted some pics from the race today, check them out.

 
At 11/03/2006 12:23 AM, Blogger shawnkielty said...

one at a time works better for me. nice dress up riding....

 
At 11/03/2006 11:32 AM, Blogger EB said...

Nice photos! Glad to see you got them up.

I checked ours & Mr. B didn't get any photos with you in them :(. He's got something of a one-track mind...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home