more than just another bike blog

Monday, November 19, 2007

it's not like losing a finger

on Friday, November 2nd at approximately 8:00am, the hard drive on my 10-month old macbook died. like an idiot, I hadn't backed it up since mid-September. and there were some things (like my calendar and my 9,000-song iTunes library) that I hadn't backed up at all.

for the past two weeks my hard drive has been at Lazarus Data Recovery in San Francisco, being cloned and analyzed in a clean room. the prognosis is bad. at this point, there's only a 40% chance that my data can be recovered (and only after I plunk down another $400, in addition to the $225 I've already given them).

so, I started thinking about just how bad is this? what have I really lost? is there anything that I can't re-create? I lost some photos from a recent bike tour and some other events. and I lost a month or so of my training journal. and some financial records. yeah, the calendar is a big one.

but I guess it's not really that bad. I mean, it's not like losing a finger or losing a loved one or losing your job or losing your hair, right?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 11/19/2007 4:58 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

Oooh. That's a bummer. My Mac HD just died, as well. It was 5 years old. About what you would expect. Fortunately, I only had about 3 weeks worth of email that wasn't backed up. I hope they get it fixed up for you. Oh, and buy an external HD to back up on regularly!

 
At 11/19/2007 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

data recovery sucks and expensive...

 
At 11/19/2007 6:45 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

external HD is the way to go. specially for music and pics.

itunes will sometimes let you "re" download all your music if you have a hard drive malfunction. but only once.

it happened to me once and they told me to log in and everything i purchased would start dowloading. and it did.

 
At 11/19/2007 7:06 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

yeah, I have a very nice external HS. it's got as many GB as my macbook. and, luckily, I had pretty much everything backed up mid-Sept. But I need a daily routine.

except iTunes. and, unfortunately, about 5,000 of the songs were copied from my CDs, which I then sold. I know I can transfer them back from my iPod to iTunes, but you lose some formatting (like song names).

oh, and my calendar (need for tax purposes), which I just realized was backed up to my phone at some point so I might be able to salvage some of that.

and some accounting files, which I can probably replicate.

right now I just hate computers.

 
At 11/20/2007 11:10 AM, Blogger EB said...

Oof.

 
At 11/20/2007 12:50 PM, Blogger shawnkielty said...

THE music is sad to lose ... but the photos are hard to replace ... but then again, you can always go out and make some new memories.

 
At 11/20/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Casey said...

One of the nice features of the new Mac Os upgrade is a feature called time machine. If you have an external HD hooked up to your computer it will do an hourly back-up of your hard drive. I think it keeps the hourly back-up for a few days and then it just retains a daily back-up until your external HD runs out of room and then it drops the oldest daily back-up in favor of the newest. It is all automatic once you get Time machine running

 
At 11/20/2007 8:42 PM, Blogger Chris said...

For me to pay $625, I would have had to lose something damn important. I hope you get it worked out.

 
At 11/21/2007 9:02 AM, Blogger TreBone said...

Yikes! I just realized I haven't backed up my HD in a while. I know what I'm doing this morning!!!

 
At 11/21/2007 10:20 AM, Blogger Emily said...

That sucks. What a bummer. Computer problems are THE worst and trying to fix them is like pouring money into a dark hole.

It's a good reminder that I need to back up my computer up as I NEVER back-up.

I hope you are able to salvage a lot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home