more than just another bike blog

Thursday, September 27, 2007

poison oak in the pool

I had PO all spring. I finally got rid of it in July. then again, I didn't do much mountain bike riding/racing after June.....I see a connection there, no?

anyways, I've been helping out with our Monday night mountain bike ride. this week, we had a great group of 9 beginner women. I was sweeping up a steepish grind of singletrack when we came upon a dick on wheels. he wouldn't yield the right of way to the girls and the last two before me ended up off the trail. I was all cool & shit and was kinda track-standing, ratcheting up the trail behind them, thinking I could just take the right-hand line, when BOOM! down I go into what I assumed was PO (no leaves, but I just knew the branches).

lo and behold, yesterday I started getting the tell-tale rash. and now, it's spread up both legs. it's even on my foot! I think wiping down with a baby wipe actually helped spread the oil to the far regions of my body.

anyways, in the spring, people kept telling me the best way to rid yourself of PO was to swim in a pool -- the chlorine would dry it right out. I'm here to tell you that's a big, fat wives' tale.

excuse me while I go scratch for a while.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9/28/2007 10:17 AM, Blogger Ron Castia said...

That's no good!

 
At 9/28/2007 12:13 PM, Blogger dblrider said...

VG - Calamine lotion for the itching and go to Safeway - they carry a lotion/cleanser that really works - especially if you apply it immediately after exposure. I can't remember the name right now, but it has a picture of poison oak on the bottle (a 5 oz size if memory serves). Swimming in a pool is bad news - the oil will come off and spread across the surface, coating more of you and anyone else in the vicinity. You can also try Dawn detergent - it will break down the oil, though by now it's probably all gone.

Best of luck!

Ken

 
At 9/28/2007 1:07 PM, Blogger EB said...

Oooh, I bet the chlorine just pisses it off...my personal favorite itch-be-gone treatment is a tepid bath with a couple spoonfuls of baking soda in there. If you want to get fancy put the soda & some oatmeal in a sock & let the water run over a sock to fill the tub; the soda will calm & the oatmeal moisturizes without putting any more oil on you to spread the itchiness.*

*This may all be a placebo, but it helps me out.

 
At 9/29/2007 9:38 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

technu.

 
At 10/05/2007 2:24 PM, Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

oh man!

hey, not sure why my emails have bounced. it's allison.krasnow@sbcglobal.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home