more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

when was the last time you did something for the first time?

ARGH! I somehow lost my original post.....here's the short version, only a week and a half late!


******************************

I think I've finally realized why triathlon is so appealing to me -- it's new and different and challenging and fun! maybe I've just gotten bored with road racing. maybe I've hit my potential (sadly, not where I'd like it to be). or maybe triathlete bodies are sexy. all I know is that I really enjoy triathlon! it's fun. the people are nice. and when I'm challenging myself in new ways -- learning new things -- I feel like I'm continuing to grow as an individual. yeah, new is good!

last weekend the dutchboy and I raced in SLO at Scott Tinley's Adventures. we made a fun weekend of it and even took Julie on her first camping trip (yes, she had her own tent).

Saturday morning we spectated the road triathlons -- and watched Courtenay and her boyfriend win their respective races. since I'd never raced a tri, and I was nervous about the swim, I wanted to watch the races and maybe learn a little something.

we had planned to race the hillclimb on Saturday but a mechanical issue discovered during our course pre-ride prevented this and we spent a good part of the afternoon at Art's Cyclery in SLO. they fixed the dutchboy's bike and I was relieved to learn that the "problem" had nothing to do with the work I'd done on his bike earlier in the week.

Sunday morning we woke up and I was scared and didn't want to race. the dutchboy twisted my arm (and then held my hand at the start of the swim).

I survived the swim. it wasn't pretty. I did every stroke you can imagine (and probably invented a few, too). it was my first mass-start open water swim ever. I wasn't last and I didn't drown.

the bike was good but I was disappointed in my time. I was able to pass lots of riders, but my time was slower than it should have been. I'm not sure what happened there -- too much time off the mtn bike lately, I guess. interesting to note that the men were all very gracious as I passed them, giving me the line when I asked for it. on the second lap, however, the young boys (8-12 years old) were just starting their race and they didn't want to give up the line even though they didn't have the gears to ride the steep singletrack, so they would run with their bikes -- so tough. I saw the dutchboy during the out & back section on lap one and then again as I was finishing my bike leg and he was starting his run. that was totally cool!

the run leg shocked me -- I apparently ran just over 8-minute miles. I don't know how I did it, especially since I haven't run since February. I had to walk a bit of the really big (14%) hill but was able to run everything else, even though it was a pretty hilly course. just as I started walking, I saw the dutchboy approaching from the opposite direction on his bike. he had finished his race and came out to encourage me. after a bit, he rode back to the finish to cheer me on and take photos. a mile from the end I was passed by a girl in my age group. as I neared the finish I completely forgot about the extra little uphill loop (ouch). but I was able to push it to the finish.

as I crossed the line, the announcer announced my name and stated that it was my very first triathlon and something about Velo Girls. apparently the dutchboy had told her all about me and asked her to say that -- how thoughtful was that?

I finished in 3rd place! no way. and the dutchboy got 6th with a smokin' bike split -- one of the fastest of the day!

on the podium, the announcer called me Lorri Lay Down. apparently my middle name was truncated to Le (from Lee) and she read "Lown" as "Down." I cracked up (as did everyone else).

I've got some big goals for next season, including a half ironman in August. I've started my run training and will be racing the Salmon Duathlon in November and am looking for some other du's or running races. I'll start masters swimming in December. fun and new, new and fun. yeah!

how fun to do something new and different!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 10/10/2007 11:29 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Great job. Congrats on finishing and placing.

I always wanted to do a tri-event, but my swimming skills suck. Would anyome notice if I show up with water-wings?

 
At 10/10/2007 4:42 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

Woo hoo! Podium! You rock. Uh, weren't you saying you were jealous of my ability to go out and run 4 miles? I think I'm jealous of your 8 minute splits. I don't think I'm running that fast right now.

 
At 10/10/2007 5:15 PM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Great job! Another weekend, another medal. As for the name munging, they can always adopt my shortcut for your name: L-cubed.

Have the numbers worn yet, or are the '385' tatoos still there? Dang sharpies!

 
At 10/10/2007 7:22 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

hey! cool! good job!

8 minute split is pretty good for not having run in a while.

 
At 10/10/2007 9:48 PM, Blogger EB said...

Awesome and congratulations! That is fabulous.

I wish it sounded that cool when people muck up my name!

 
At 10/10/2007 11:03 PM, Blogger Emily said...

CONGRATULATIONS Lorri!! That is so cool!! and to end up on the podium, SWEET!

Love the photos --you look great.

It looks like you had a lot of fun.

 
At 10/11/2007 1:26 AM, Blogger funkdaddy said...

Lorri Lay Down - I wonder if that one will stick...

Great job getting on the podium.

BTW I fulfilled your request for an update, thanks for caring!

 
At 10/11/2007 9:58 AM, Blogger place_holder said...

oh wow, you are a triathlete!! a very impressive podium taker as well.

 
At 10/11/2007 6:13 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

cool...and a podium spot too...awesome

 
At 10/13/2007 8:01 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Great job Lorri!

 
At 10/14/2007 9:34 PM, Blogger clm said...

HAHAHA....it's an addicting sport. Did I mention that???? Nice job on the hardware!

clm

 
At 10/25/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger TreBone said...

That's super!!! I swim like an old tire, so I have to give you serious props for busting out the swim. You're added to my list of inspirations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home