more than just another bike blog

Sunday, October 14, 2007

my sock drawer broke!

I have an old chest of drawers from my grandmother. it's definitely seen better days. the bottom drawer is filled with cycling socks. and bathing suits. I'm not sure why I've got those two items together, but neither fills an entire drawer so it just happened that way. well, my drawer broke! it's a dovetail construction (if that means anything to you), so I was able to put it back together and use wood glue to fix it.

but the underlying question is, "when does a girl have too many pairs of cycling socks?"

most of my cycling socks are Velo Girls socks. but we've gone through 4 designs in our 6-year history. and I have to have enough of our current design to wear them everyday and only do laundry once a week (so that's 7 pairs).

and then there are socks "earned" at special events like centuries, interbike, or races.

and then there are the special pairs that were gifted to me by folks in the industry like my "slut" or "hottie" socks from Derek of Sock Guy.

and, of course, I have sponsor socks from GU and Ritchey and Rudy.

and socks from friends like Passion Trail Bikes and Pilarcitos.

somehow, when you become a cyclist, everyone you know suddenly decides you deserve socks for gifts.

because I had nothing better to do tonight, I counted. let's just say I have 3-digits of socks.

so, how many are too many?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10/13/2007 6:12 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Over 100 pairs?? That is huge. I think I have about 12 pair at most. I just bought a pair of the higher cut socks. I will give them a try this weekend. They look cool at least.

 
At 10/13/2007 11:12 AM, Blogger dblrider said...

Damn VG - that's impressive. The Imelda Marcos of socks...

 
At 10/13/2007 4:25 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

Unlike bikes, you can have too many socks! I have 3 pair of VG socks. I have to do laundry twice a week.

I have about 7 other pairs of cycling socks and 2 pairs of wool socks that can be used for hiking or cycling. So, I have a dozen - much less than 100!

 
At 10/13/2007 4:54 PM, Blogger beth bikes! said...

crazy shit! i have one pair of cycling socks.

i just wear thin socks from target. they are just as good and 5 times cheaper.

what's with special socks to ride a bike? it can't possibly make a difference. i am really curious why there is a market for cycling socks.

 
At 10/14/2007 6:51 PM, Blogger Ron George said...

holy cow!! you're the only person with that many, you better keep the pairs together !!

 
At 10/15/2007 6:12 PM, Blogger Katie Kelly said...

That's so cool. Think about how many days can pass before you ever have to wash your socks.

I not only inherited a dresser from my grandmother, I inherited all her socks.

 
At 10/15/2007 6:58 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

You could make sock puppets for Julie to play with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home