more than just another bike blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

getting my feet wet

so, almost two months ago the Dutchboy and I decided to race in a triathlon. actually, we planned to compete in three separate events -- a mtn bike hill climb, a road tri, and a mtn bike tri -- all for an omnium-type title at the end of the weekend. I bought a pretty, new, red swim suit about a month ago. and today, for the first time in years, I went swimming. I kept thinking about it (going swimming) but just didn't get around to it. there was always something else going on.

I took swim lessons in 2001 and 2002. I did okay. I didn't drown but I wasn't really fast. but I was okay. I have lots of swim toys -- goggles, fins, flippers, one of those bouys you put between your legs, and a kick board. I wanted to find my kick board to do a nice warm-up today. of course, I found everything else but the kick board -- where they heck did I put it?

I don't know how long I swam. I didn't bring a watch. I lost count of my laps (and I don't know the distance of the pool anyways). I finally got a little side cramp and gave up and laid in the sun. Swimming is hard work! and it's boring -- there's no scenery.

I think I'll swim tomorrow and thursday, too, since the tri is on Sunday.

I have to swim a quarter mile on Sunday. I'll probably have the slowest swim time. that means I'll have to pass a lot of people on the bike. we won't even think about the run (no, I haven't been running).

why am I doing this? oh yeah, it'll be fun and something different to do with the boy.

I guess this will give me a good baseline to compare future races (when I might actually train).

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 9/25/2007 3:22 PM, Blogger marscat said...

would you like to borrow my water wings?

 
At 9/25/2007 3:27 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

unfortunately, I don't think USAT allows water wings. I don't think they allow water shoes either (yuck!).

but thanks, marscat!!!

 
At 9/25/2007 9:01 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

my philosophy of tris is that you can dog paddle the swim if you have the fastest bike split and a decent run. So, I don't even train for the swim!

 
At 9/25/2007 9:07 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

what the heck are water shoes?

 
At 9/25/2007 9:33 PM, Blogger Holly R said...

Oops. Sh*t. I have your kickboard. :o)

 
At 9/25/2007 9:37 PM, Blogger Allison Krasnow said...

triathlon=loads of fun

 
At 9/25/2007 10:10 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

water shoes.....you know, those little neoprene shoes with a rubbery bottom. I can't remember what you really call them. but you don't have to touch the bottom when you've got them on.

Holly!!!!!! I've been turning my house upside down all day looking for that freaking kickboard. I vaguely remembered loaning it to someone but I must've done it during the dark days when my memory is all but faded. thanks for solving the mystery!

 
At 9/25/2007 11:41 PM, Blogger beth bikes! said...

swimming sucks. i boycott any athletic activity where i can't breath on demand.
plus, triathlons are too expensive.

 
At 9/26/2007 12:08 PM, Blogger Katie Kelly said...

I have swim issues. My swim coach, when whe was trying to talk me out of running and cycling, pointed out how prone to injuries cyclists and runners are. And I said, "Yes, but all you have to do is breathe wrong once and swimming can be lethal." This was not enough to convince her.

 
At 9/26/2007 12:11 PM, Blogger EB said...

I have about 3 minutes of "swim" before my mind switches to "drown".

You sound like you've got it under control, though -- and a great excuse to cover yourself in slippery stuff & get all wet (I'm hopeless, sorry). Have fun, stay warm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home