more than just another bike blog

Thursday, September 06, 2007

the end of the world as we know it


if you happened to look outside early this morning, you probably saw a big, glowing red orb in the sky. no, it's not the apocalypse......it's the sun. apparently the smoke from the Henry Coe fire caused the brilliant sunrise this morning.

and in response to a post from earlier this week, the Dutchboy said the rain was also caused by the smoke particles in the atmosphere (think cloud seeding). he's the earth science guy so I believe him.

I tried to snap an image of the sun this morning but my little digicam is lacking....this was the best I could do.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9/06/2007 5:00 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

I ran home yesterday to pick up a package in the afternoon. It was soooo smoky. I had my car parked in the driveway for about 10 minutes, and when I came out it was covered in a thin film of ash. Weird.

 
At 9/06/2007 8:04 PM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Smoky, but take a look at the satellite images for Wed/Thu; the smoke is coming from a fire up in the Sierra's, near Susanville. The smoke from the Coe fire was being pushed out to Monterey Bay. Really cool shots, until you realize what they are. The Wed. night sunset was amazing.

 
At 9/06/2007 8:47 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I saw the sun this morning when I was out walking my dogs and thought the color was amazing. When I returned home I read about the fire online. It can't be good for air quality.

 
At 9/06/2007 10:28 PM, Blogger dblrider said...

Tonight's sunset was equally spectacular. Both reminded me of my childhood - growing up near Yosemite where we had forest fires nearby (within 10-20 miles) every summer.

 
At 9/18/2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

now I have that rem song in my head...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home