more than just another bike blog

Thursday, June 28, 2007

it's not over til the fat lady sings


so, the CCCX mtn bike series is winding down for 2007. the final race of the season is this Saturday. I can't say I'll miss it -- it's been a long, dramatic season and I'm ready to move onto something else for the summer. it's challenging to sustain a high level of performance for five months straight and I've had a number of personal health issues that screwed with my early-season fitness, so it's been a bit frustrating for me.

I had three personal goals this season:

#1 -- win a race -- I did that on March 3rd -- yay, me!!!

#2 -- win Sea Otter -- well, I blew that one, probably by switching to a new bike a few days before the race. I got 6th -- okay, but that wasn't my goal. oddly enough, I realized that my age group is filled with fast women! I would've been on the podium in any other age group except mine. I was very disappointed, but moved onto the next big event (Wildflower, for which I still haven't posted my race report).

#3 -- win the CCCX series overall -- I lead the series from race #2 through race #7 -- six races. but I blew it big-time on Saturday. I raced so poorly that women who I never see in the races, women who finish 20 minutes down from me, passed me in the first lap! I kept waiting to get lapped by the leaders. I felt like I was in a time warp -- racing at the level I raced last year. Combine this performance with a lost opportunity in the prior race, and I'm now 4 points down from the new series leader. 4 fricking points! only 4 points, but it will be challening for me to regain the series lead just the same. challenging, but not impossible. given what's going on with my health right now, I'm not holding my breath. but I'm happy to say that even 5 days off the spiro and I've got a bit of strength and spirit back. I guess we'll see on Saturday, won't we. at worst, I'll finish the series in 2nd place, which should make me happy. right.

I have great motivation to ride fast on Saturday. that afternoon I fly to Denver to join Hans for a week's vacation. he'll be working on his house so he can put it on the market. I plan to spend a week climbing Mt. Evans, Pike's Peak, and lots of other big climbs at altitude to try to salvage my fitness this summer. it's amazing that I went from being super-fit in early May to feeling slow and fat and tired. but, I digress. CO will be a blast, with dinners and parties planned almost every night with his family and friends. I can't wait, so if riding faster on Saturday will get me there sooner, I'll hammer my brains out!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 6/28/2007 5:53 AM, Blogger Chris said...

The past is the past. Keep looking forward.

Have a great time in Colorado.

 
At 6/28/2007 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you CAN do it!

 
At 6/28/2007 8:55 AM, Blogger EB said...

Why is it odd that there are really fast women in your age group? I tell you, the days that I feel slow and get my ass handed to me are the days that I really can't wait to have a few more years' experience so I can stand a chance of sticking with the women who are kicking my ass now. Isn't the average age of women in the NRC peloton over 35?

Women don't age, they start to fly :).

 
At 6/28/2007 9:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

ahhh, is this the Hans I met at Burlingame??? he seemed quite nice. Romance is in the air, yay!

 
At 6/28/2007 10:18 AM, Blogger chatterbox said...

1st or 2nd is a great accomplishment in such a long series. The only difference is the schwag they hand out on the podium. The pride you have in a job well done should be the same. That said, I'm confident you can win.

Have a great time in CO. It sounds like fun!

 
At 6/28/2007 11:30 AM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

you, for sure, need a vacation.

relax, drink some alcohol, enjoy your self and stop thinking so much about racing and riding.

give yourself some down time.

 
At 6/28/2007 1:59 PM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

We have faith in you VG. Smoke the course, then forget it about it and enjoy Colorado ....

 
At 6/29/2007 3:33 PM, Blogger Velovera said...

Don't beat yourself up!!

Hey, are you on the 5:10 to Denver? Wanna hang with me at the overpriced Red Carpet Club? Send me a note. Actually, send me your phone number. I also have my car at DIA and luggage to check, so I can put you and your bike in my car.

 
At 7/17/2007 9:10 PM, Blogger Sweet Cheeks said...

Well? I know you went to Colorado, but don't make me search race results. I'm lazy (or is it busy?).

No matter how it went, you rock.

I just looked over my goals for 2007. I've met half of them. That's good, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home