more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

doing it all night long

over a year ago, I raced my first 24-hour mountain bike race as part of a five-woman team. considering I'm a roadie through and through, this was a big accomplishment for me. my lap times were good and I had lots of fun.....until the night lap. I headed out for about a mile, scared myself to the point of being dangerous, turned around, woke up a teammate to take my place, and cried myself to sleep. after that weekend, I decided 24-hour racing just wasn't my thing. but since I love endurance events, I decided to do the 8-hour solo event this year.

best laid plans, I guess. somehow, I raised my hand and signed up to race a two-woman team with my teammie, Justine. Justine is an endurance racing guru -- that's pretty much all she does and she usually does it solo: 8 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours. what the hell -- it would be a good goal for me, right?

long story short (because I'm too busy these days to write a long story), we raced. it wasn't flawless. we were the only two-woman team in the 2-person category. we raced 14 laps (170 miles) and finished in 4th place (of 5 teams, so we "girled" one team of boys). of note, the 2nd and 3rd place teams finished only one lap up on us. I rode not one, but two night laps, the second lap missing one light (scary). I ate wrong and got a terrible belly ache in the middle of the night and missed my 4:30am lap but got back out there in the morning.

total for the weekend: 6 laps, 72.33 miles, 9+ hours on the mtn bike, 9,648' of climbing, aches and pains everywhere (even my eyeballs), oh, and that stupid le mans start run (blech!). considering my primary goals were to conquer the night riding and to complete as many laps as I could, I was pretty proud of myself.

my teammie is a total stud. she finished 8 laps (almost 100 miles). she and her boyfriend, John, make an incredible team. Justine really knows how to race endurance events and it was such a fabulous learning experience for me.

and we couldn't have done it without Hans and John, who took care of us, fed us, rubbed us, wrenched for us, dressed us, nudged us to keep going, and were just plain heros in my book. although these races are solo or team events, I truly believe you can't succeed without the support of your crew (especially if you race solo or two-person), and we had the best!



I learned a lot of good lessons this weekend (about racing endurance events and about life). if I ever do this again, I expect to put those lessons to good use and have that much more fun!

shyte! did I just say this was fun?

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At 6/13/2007 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so cool Lori! what an accomplishment this season...the weight loss, the endurance races...wow...you are an amazing person - great job!

 
At 6/13/2007 12:57 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

good job!

 
At 6/13/2007 2:24 PM, Blogger Sweet Cheeks said...

We may have won our category, but you are truly the superior athlete!

I could learn a thing or two from you about endurance racing.

P.S. you look so fabulous!

 
At 6/13/2007 2:29 PM, Blogger Ron Castia said...

The cool thing about those races is you learn so much about what you are made of. It can be emotional just finishing. Congratulations!!!

 
At 6/13/2007 2:50 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Nome, tell me about it! I had tears in my eyes as I rode the final lap into the finish line. The emotional ups and downs were incredible! I was so angry/disappointed that I got sick in the night but at the same time I was very proud of what I'd already done. I'm glad I got out for one last lap even though I was still sick -- if I hadn't, the disappointment would've lingered for a long time.

 
At 6/13/2007 7:25 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Terrific write-up and great job!

 
At 6/13/2007 7:57 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

Nice racing - you girls rock! Bravery points, too.

 
At 6/14/2007 8:54 AM, Blogger lyca said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I loved reading about your recent adventures. I can't imagine 24 hour racing...in the dark...scary....

 
At 6/14/2007 1:49 PM, Blogger Ron Castia said...

I had tears in my eyes the last lap in the last Adrenalin race we did. Not because of an emotional finish, but because I cramped on the climb out and we lost by under a minute...

 
At 6/14/2007 3:09 PM, Blogger meh-wee-uhn said...

2 person team?!?
Good on ya!

 
At 6/18/2007 10:49 AM, Blogger Grey said...

Sorry about the off topic comment:

Lori. Was it you who bought my Sasso/Specialized track bike a few years back? I saw it randomly on craigslist a while back...

anyways, been thinkin' of putting another track bike together cuz i hang out with these silly fixed gear kids and i was wondering if the old one was long gone. sorry if i'm barkin' up the wrong tree...

can be reached at grey.wedeking at the gmail.

--grey

p.s. and all i can say about 72+ miles of mtbing is...wow. hope you got a nice dinner, a bath and a hell of a lot of sleep.

 
At 6/18/2007 1:33 PM, Blogger Velovera said...

Yes! Let's ride. I will be with Andrea Glassberg on July 1 for a little ride as she is finishing up ride the rockies and then i am around through the next weekend, hoping to race maybe. contact me at swiss_miss_v at yahoo.com

 
At 6/19/2007 7:46 AM, Blogger Sandy said...

All I could say is WOW and Congratulations!!! I'm actually speechless for the first time in my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home