more than just another bike blog

Sunday, May 13, 2007

like a virgin

how often to you get to do something you've never done before?

I've been riding a bike a long time. there aren't a lot of things I haven't tried at least once. but yesterday during the race, I did something I'd never done.

I like to descend, especially on long, steep, straight descents where I can get a lot of speed. but because of my gearing (compact cranks with a 13-29 cassette), I spin out at a relatively low speed. so, I've become pretty good at a severe tuck and am able to descend a lot faster than other riders who are in a more upright position. I guess having a fast bike and a higher body weight than other riders helps, too. I'm not crazy enough to put my hands on the tops like a true hot-dog, but I'll dip into the drops, sit on the nose of my saddle, and really get as low as my big body allows.

yesterday's race was completely miserable for me, from the moment I got out of bed until the minute I finally got off the bike. so I wanted to make the misery as short as possible. my climbing sucked so I had to make up some time on my descents. in the midst of a tuck, I suddenly found my chin on the bar. yup! I've never done that before, and I realized that I didn't really like it. on the bumpy road, I just kept envisioning that I would hit a bump and bite my tongue off. silly me, but that's what was going through my head.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5/13/2007 11:55 AM, Blogger EB said...

Thanks for finding me; it was great to see you and I wish we'd had more time to chat.

That race is brutal, and I just know I'm going to talk myself into doing it next year, too...

 
At 5/13/2007 8:48 PM, Blogger Chris said...

10 years ago I used to do the hands on top of the bars thing. Not anymore. The drops are as low as I get nowadays.

 
At 5/14/2007 7:00 AM, Blogger X Bunny said...

desperation is a good teacher some time

 
At 5/14/2007 9:41 AM, Blogger shawnkielty said...

I can't even imagine being able to put my chin down on the bars.

Having a higher body weight would only increase your momentum, and not the rate at which you fall (i.e. your speed).

 
At 5/14/2007 10:35 AM, Blogger Kimberly (aka. DrKim) said...

I did that in my last race, too (chin on the bars)...as xbunny said, desperation is a good motivator, too! I was chasin... I also have a fast bike. I have a compact with the big 11-26 spread...that 11 comes in handy sometimes! Occasionally I miss the gears in the middle, and I think I"m about ready to retire the 26 ...but it has been nice!

good job for persevering even when the body isn't cooperating! boy do I know how that feels...

 
At 5/16/2007 3:54 PM, Blogger yellowbug said...

oh yeah I did work with Teresa and Alfie! They were great, Teresa was such a great stylist and made me feel like a million bucks! Say hi to her if you see her!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home