more than just another bike blog

Monday, June 25, 2007

excuse me, but could someone help me find my testosterone?

a month ago, my dermatologist prescribed spironolactone for a skin condition. this is the drug that pre-op transgendered men take to reduce the amount of testosterone in their bodies during transition to becoming a woman. at the time my doc. recommended it, I asked her if the reduction in testosterone would affect my athletic performance. she replied that it wouldn't. well all I have to say is bullshit! in the past month, I've gotten soft, lost my edge, gained weight, lost muscle mass, and basically sucked on the bike -- at a time when my performance was critical. I'm sorry, but if someone doesn't really know the answer, they shouldn't lie about it. I've had two other docs and an exercise physiologist concur that the spiro should not be recommended for athletes, at least not if they don't want to lose performance.

does anyone know a dermatologist who understands athletes (preferably someone located on the peninsula)?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 6/26/2007 1:14 AM, Blogger shawnkielty said...

I this it?

 
At 6/26/2007 8:06 AM, Blogger chatterbox said...

vg - Not many doctors seem to understand athletes. I expressed some concern to my doctor about a drug prescribed and side effects of DVT, 'since I am an athlete'. She said, 'you are at reduced risk for DVT because you are active'. I don't think the medical texts differentiate between 'active' (walking 20 minutes 3x per week) and 'athlete' (hard cord, anaerobic efforts for multiple hours in a row in a state of compromised hydration). It's really frustrating to find medical practicioners that are in the know about endurance athletes.

 
At 6/26/2007 10:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

doctors. ugh. what can you expect from people who are given all sorts of free goodies for passing out certain pills?

and you looked good when i saw you on sunday. i hadn't seen you in a long time but i thought you looked really skinny!

 
At 6/26/2007 10:36 AM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Rumour has it that drinking Jack Daniels and beer the night before a race can increase testosterone levels ;-)

 
At 6/26/2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Janelle said...

Triple L - sorry to hear all that - but when I saw you at B-game, I thought you looked great! I'm pretty sure Christine Thorburn would understand your dilemma - perhaps she is a good resource?

 
At 6/26/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

thanks everybody!

I just met with my dermatolgist and she said "oh, sorry, I didn't really think this through, did I?" I know it was only a month, but it was a critical month of racing for me and has impacted one of my season goals. bummer! it's just bike racing, but it's still frustrating.

 
At 6/26/2007 3:22 PM, Blogger EB said...

I've had trouble with physicians separating what they know about the average person with the training I do and what is common among athletes (or at least common according to what I know)...good luck with the search!

And I third the fact that you looked hot and not at all pudgy.

 
At 6/26/2007 7:23 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Are there alternatives that you can use? That really blows. There is a hell of a lot of work that goes into a month of training.

 
At 6/28/2007 7:11 AM, Blogger X Bunny said...

being a doctor has really sucked since the drug companies aren't allowed to give us much in the way of free goodies anymore

 

Post a Comment

<< Home