more than just another bike blog

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

just 3 months late

Every year I promise myself I'll start running and lifting in July as preparation for cyclocross season. And every summer, something gets in the way. This year, I kept waiting -- until after the Death Ride, then after Livermore Hills, then after San Ardo, then after my coastal trip. Well, here it is almost September and I'm just getting started.

Yesterday I ran and focused on my core and upper body in the weight room. And I did my latin dance video (great for core work, especially since cycling has no lateral movement and latin dance is all lateral). This morning I ran again and focused on my legs in the weight room. A bit later I'm heading out to work skills on the cross bike. Next week I'll head back to Bikram a couple of times a week.

It feels so good to have that slightly achy feeling.

I'm smart enough to start slowly. Most folks make the mistake of doing too much too soon and end up sore for a week and/or with shin splints. I err on the side of doing too little and find that it's actually just right.

Running isn't my favorite sport, but my cardio is actually really good right now. I start very slowly -- yesterday I did 5 minutes brisk walking, 5 minutes running, 5 minutes brisk walking. Lungs felt great and I was able to run a pretty quick pace. Legs felt it a little but weren't sore at all today. This morning I did 5/5/5/5/5 for a total of 10 minutes running. Yup, it's super-gradual, but that's the way to ramp-up without injury. Once I get up to 30 minutes sustained running I'll be able to add some plyometrics into the program.

I also start out slowly with the weights -- one or two sets with light weights and 12-15 repetitions this week. Gotta ease the body into the stress before adding more weight. I've always loved lifting and it's been too many years since I've been able to have a full season (periodized, of course) of strength training. This could be the year.

I've also been focusing on weight loss. Running and strength training both fit into that program perfectly. I've modified my nutrition -- lean protein, lots of fruits and vegetables (with an emphasis on low glycemic). I've lost 6 pounds in the past three weeks -- nice, slow, safe weight loss. It's much easier to eat lean and green when I'm not riding 15-20 hours a week.

So, at this pace, I should be in peak form for December!!!

7 Comments:

At 9/26/2006 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so I see you are slowly preparing to beat my ass in next year's CCCX mtn bike....

 
At 9/26/2006 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) you are on the right track...keep at it!

 
At 9/26/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Didn't I already beat your ass at CCCX?

No, I'm preparing for total world domination!

 
At 9/26/2006 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah, forgot about that! duh! okay then I will try to beat your smaller ass next year...:-)

 
At 9/26/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

sounds like a good plan! i hate the running stuff. you should come run with me at lunch.

 
At 9/26/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I'll run with you at lunch! As soon as I can run a little longer than I can now.....it'll be a couple of weeks. You've been running all year -- I'm just starting.

 
At 9/28/2006 5:21 PM, Blogger EB said...

Lucky! I'm trying the same thing (without the strength training -- a lot of my excess is having a lot of not-so-useful muscle up top) without the same results. Thanks for the running tips...start out slowly...yeah, that probably would have prevented me from that sprain!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home