more than just another bike blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Betty J. makes me wet -- what about you?

check this out -- KCCX

I'm not racing cyclocross for the first time in 5 years. I thought I might miss it. I really needed a break -- mental if not physical. Even though I'm not racing, I keep my finger on the pulse or some cliche like that.

I raced cyclocross nationals two years ago in Providence, RI. I spent a good part of the snowy, frigid weekend with Gary Noe and Betty Jordan. Betty is my hero. She won cyclocross nationals that year for the 55+ women. I think it was the first time USAC had offered that field. Betty was the only entrant. and she deserves those stars & bars.



now go click that link again!!! then click on the women 50-54 (I can't figure out how to give you the direct link). not only has USAC added fields for 60+ women, but did you check out the field size for 50+ women? 11 amazing women, all who can probably kick my butt and your butt and other random butt and then crack open a Belgium with the boys. and then, there's the 7 women in the 55+ field and the 2 in the 60+ field. wow, wow, wow!

it's interesting to me that many women stop road racing in their 50s and 60s because they perceive it to be too dangerous to their fragile bones. I guess the perception of cyclocross is that's it's a "safe" sport. or maybe the fun factor is just worth the risk.

so here's to those silver crossers -- women who won't let their age (or society) dictate what they should be doing on a Sunday morning.

and here's to Betty Jordan for leading the way!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12/12/2007 8:02 AM, Blogger TreBone said...

Look at all those women kicking ass!! How cool is that?!?!

 
At 12/12/2007 5:31 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I'll wait for the over 70 field.

 
At 12/12/2007 5:38 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Jackie, I think your cyclocross race age is actually 69 so that would just be next year......

 
At 12/12/2007 6:55 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Say it isn't so!

 
At 12/13/2007 8:09 AM, Blogger marscat said...

right on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home