more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

poster child for women afflicted with being single


That's a title I've always wanted attached to my name. Go figure!

I was interviewed by San Francisco Chronicle columnist, Chuck Nevius, recently. I get interviewed all the time, but this article has generated a bunch of attention from cycling friends, former Schwab co-workers, and some eligible bachelors, too!

The occassion was the recent release of a study that indicated that single women now comprise the majority (of women) in the United States for the first time in US history. Whoopee! I'm a majority.

The columnist was very pleasant and intelligent. We actually had a great conversation on the phone. We discussed gender dynamics (one of my favorite topics) and the economics of the bike biz (another one of my favorite topics). And the Chronicle sent a photographer out to shoot me riding (and instead used a photo of me standing in the parking lot at Buck's).

But the columnist really wanted me to say that single women are bitter and we hate men and that's why we join women's organizations (like Velo Girls). I knew that's where he was going with it. I even asked him that and he giggled. I referred him to many of my single friends. The fabulous Ms. Moon and the beautiful Teresa Callen were also quoted in the article.

I was mis-quoted a bit, but not as badly as some of the other interviews I've done over the years. You can decide for yourself by reading the article here -- Women See Less Need for Ol Ball and Chain.

But do I really want to be the "model for the new single woman?" Thanks, Chuck!

2 Comments:

At 1/31/2007 9:14 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I read the article in the SF Chronicle. It was interesting for sure and I could sense where the writer wanted the story to go. But, I think I get what you were saying. I regularly ride with women and understand that the dynamic is a bit different in mixed groups.

 
At 1/31/2007 9:23 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh yeah. MAN HATER! haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home