more than just another bike blog

Friday, January 26, 2007

the man of my dreams

If you're a single girl and a homeowner, you know who I'm talking about. As independent as we think we are, there are still some things better left to professionals. And in CA, that means finding a good handyman.

I've met a bunch of crazy, drug-addicted, alcoholic, incompetent handymen in my day. There was Paul, the man who would show up two hours late and then ask me to give him lunch. And there was Norm, the man who almost electrocuted me when he installed my outdoor lightening. And there was Thomas, who used a hudson sprayer to paint my ceiling.....while all my furiture was still in the house. And then there was the nutsy contractor (I've blacked out his name) who did my floors and crown moulding.

Needless to say, I'd basically given up on finding Mr. Right.

You may recall my flourescent light quandry a couple of months ago. Long story short, the fixture with a dead, now obsolete ballast, was still sitting on my kitchen counter until this morning. About a month ago, I located the ballast at Royal Electric, but didn't have the opportunity to pick one up until Wednesday.

So, Wednesday I happened into Royal and was pursuaded that changing the entire fixture was the more logical solution.

And that's when I saw him! At the other end of the counter was a charming, clean, sober handyman. Our eyes met briefly and I felt my heart flutter. My hands began sweating. And I knew he was the one! As we chatted, he told me his name was Tom and he was the handyman-of-choice for my condo complex (nice of the complex management to tell us). We exchanged numbers and the rest is history!

I now have lights under my kitchen cabinets again! And we've scheduled time to work on all the other little projects on my to-do list and a few he identified as problems that I didn't even know about. And he's cheap! And nice! And he smells good, too! He's a little chatty while I'm trying to work and he didn't put the seat down, but at my age I can't be too picky, right?

So, girls, if you need Mr. Right in your life, give Tom a ring. He truly is amazing!

7 Comments:

At 1/26/2007 2:09 PM, Blogger ginmtb said...

Yeah big deal. I got all that covered and more...

My remodel blog

Kitchen remodel

And I put the toilet seat down. Don't hate me because I'm perfect...

(I wonder how Ms. Dukes' kitchen remodel is coming along)

 
At 1/26/2007 2:42 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

I once had a handyman named Silver Bravo

no really

 
At 1/26/2007 5:42 PM, Blogger Chris said...

You really had a handyman who painted the ceiling while your furniture was still underneath it??

 
At 1/28/2007 7:55 AM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

you made the SF Chron - nice picture.

 
At 1/28/2007 8:17 AM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

yes...morning coffee, oatmeal and Velogirl...pretty darn cool.

 
At 1/28/2007 8:18 AM, Blogger marscat said...

oops 2nd Ippoc post was mine.

 
At 1/28/2007 1:17 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I haven't seen the Chron yet. I read the article online -- just a few misquotes but still okay. I bought the paper at Starbucks on the way to EBs and apparently the article wasn't in the early edition, so hopefully I'll see it later today.

Oatmeal and coffee....yum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home