more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

how do you get shin splints from walking

What? Aren't I an athlete? Don't I run? And ride? And race cross?

On Sunday we'd planned to ride Mt. Hamilton but it was so freezing we didn't want to descend again (and our sensible friends cancelled on us). So, after a late morning in bed and a ride to Burlingame with Julie in tow for coffee and croissants at Copenhagen, we decided to go on a hike.

I tried to explain that I don't hike. "It's just a walk," my friend said. "I don't walk either. Are you sure you wouldn't rather mtn bike? I can get you a mtn bike to borrow. Same thing as hiking, just faster."

Off to Arastradero we go, Julie on her leash, running shoes on my feet, and we hike the trails I usually ride. I had no idea how long it would take us to hike, but we did most of the OSP and even lolly-gagged at the look-out, taking photos, admiring the crystal-clear day with views of Diablo and Hamilton, and basically being lazy hiker-people. And we saw three coyotes! Julie had a blast and we did, too.

But on Monday, I had shin splints. Go figure.

6 Comments:

At 1/18/2007 9:59 AM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

you need to hike more. it'll toughen you up some.

 
At 1/18/2007 10:37 AM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

yeah, right! maybe the shin splints were from the weekend's other athletic endeavors. or the black go-go boots I wore on Thursday night. who knows, but they're finally feeling better today.

 
At 1/18/2007 1:26 PM, Blogger erein said...

people who ride bikes should never, ever walk anywhere. It's kind of an unwritten law.

 
At 1/18/2007 4:31 PM, Blogger EB said...

I thought I did a fair bit of hiking until I got nailed by the Appalachian Trail. Hikes are sneaky.

 
At 1/18/2007 4:31 PM, Blogger EB said...

Oh, and is this friend the mystery friend?

 
At 1/23/2007 11:46 PM, Blogger shawnkielty said...

I am with erein on this one -- never hike anywhere you can ride to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home