more than just another bike blog

Thursday, January 18, 2007

I can't share all the really good stuff

I got tagged a long time ago....before New Years, before Christmas, probably before the end of the cross season. For the life of me I can't remember who tagged me. And I've avoided posting this because I kinda feel like my life is an open book and everyone knows everything about me anyways. Or, at least everything that I would confess on the internet. But what the heck, here's some tagalicious blog fodder for your Thursday viewing pleasure -- completely random and nothing too scandalous. If you want the good dirt, you'll have to buy me a beer.

Things you probably don't know about me (and probably don't care about either):

1. My typing teacher cut my nails during typing class one day. Yes, this was back in the day when you took typing class on a typewriter and learned how to use carbon paper -- no computers in the schools yet. She'd probably be arrested for that today. She also black-balled me from National Honor Society my junior year (even though I graduated 9th in my class of 400). Even though I was a musician and played piano and all the woodwinds, I had super-long nails. I painted them everynight to match the clothes I planned to wear the next day. When I broke one, I would super-glue it back on until it finally fell off.

2. I was in a beauty pageant my senior year in high school. And apparently I was so beautiful that I made it to the state finals. But we were very poor and I didn't have the funds to buy the dresses and costumes and get the hair, makeup, or boob jobs that the other girls did. The pageant was supposedly a scholarship program and beauty didn't matter, but all the girls were very beautiful anyways. My talent was singing and dancing -- I Feel Pretty from West Side Story (gag). I was also awarded the scholastic achievement award. I think I won $150 which seemed like a lot of money at the time. Ironically, I was nominated to participate in the pageant by my typing teacher (see above).

3. I was the only girl in my neighborhood. I grew up under the influence of all the boys and somehow lived to talk about it. Our neighborhood was pretty rough & tumble and we drank and smoked pot and experimented with sex at a very young age. I don't know how my parents (who were super-strict with me) didn't figure it out. Well, eventually they did. To this day, I still relate better to men than to women. I never really had any female friends growing up nor did I have many close female friends during my adult years. My best friends have always been men. Ironic that my company is focused on women, isn't it?

4. I learned to swim when I was only 8 months old. No fancy diaper-dip classes for me. My father simply dropped me in the lake and let me sink or swim. I didn't sink and spent the next 17 years of my life water-logged every summer. But I'm not a very good swimmer and I don't like swimming in lakes because I can't see what's on the bottom. However, I can bait a hook and clean a fish!

5. I've been engaged three times but never married. I think being engaged is cool and romantic, albeit a public display of an intimate relationship. I've got commitment issues and I'm terrible at making decisions. Or maybe I just don't believe in the institution of marriage. I'd rather wake up every morning and make the conscious decision to proclaim my love for my partner than have a piece of paper that reminds me I should be in love. And, no, I didn't keep any of the rings even though I thought about it.

So, is anyone still playing this game? I hereby tag Jackie, Sarah, Funke, Mo, and Andy.

11 Comments:

At 1/18/2007 12:53 PM, Blogger chatterbox said...

OK, so I'm sort of new to the blogosphere. What does it mean that you've tagged me? Am I supposed to write lots of stuff about myself?

 
At 1/18/2007 12:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

these are GREAT! very juicy.

 
At 1/18/2007 1:04 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

c'box, it means you have to share five "things" with the world. Five crazy things that no one knows, or five silly things, or five made-up things, or five whatever things.

 
At 1/18/2007 4:37 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i like the long nails part. especially the gluing back on.

that's so 1980. love it!

 
At 1/18/2007 4:38 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

yeah, 1982 actually. I'll have to dig up some photos.

 
At 1/18/2007 6:57 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I had no idea I was reading the blog of a former beauty queen. :)

 
At 1/18/2007 10:49 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I can relate to the boobs thing. Where did those nice foam rubber falsies with perky nipples go? The only time I wore them (I usually used rolled-up socks) was in a bathing suit. I dove off a speedboat to show off to two guys who'd taken a friend and I waterskiing - well, you can guess what hit the surface before me. I grabbed those suckers and shoved 'em back in so fast, treading water with my back turned, wondering if it was too late to just drown and not have to face them, but we all pretended it hadn't happened. I still cringe.

 
At 1/18/2007 10:52 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

...and what's the time limit on getting the other four things, and am I the Jackie you meant to tag? and do I have to put them on my blog or here?

 
At 1/18/2007 11:37 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I love it, Jackie! And yes, you're the Jackie I was referring to.....just follow your blog link. I'd suggest posting to your own blog. And there's no time limit that I know of.....this isn't quite a chain letter.

 
At 1/21/2007 7:02 PM, Blogger marscat said...

i figured out how to cheat on those typing tests....

 
At 1/21/2007 7:27 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

you're good at this

someone should tag you again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home