more than just another bike blog

Monday, July 24, 2006

Kitsch Therapy


I hate to shop. I always have. But, my clothes are all too big and I've got some social "stuff" on my calendar, so I had to go shopping. The bike shop was once again hot this afternoon, so I rode over to Burlingame Avenue to see what I could see.

It's amazing how fashion trends come and go and come around yet again. What's with all the maternity-style tops with princess cut bodices? I hated them in the 70s and I don't find them particularly flattering now (although I bought two). And sun dresses? And tube tops? My oh my.

I've never explored some of the shops on Burlingame Avenue and was amazed at all the Euro-trash boutiques with $250 tops and $400 skirts. Excuse me? For $250 I can get something totally sweet for one of my bikes.

As I was heading home, I rode by a new shop called Therapy. My boss at the bike shop owns the building. They've been there almost a year, and Leslie said I should stop in some day but I never did. Wow! I actually started laughing aloud for a while. It was like walking into my closet 25 years ago. Totally retro 60s and 70s clothing (and some cool non-clothing stuff too). Knit dresses, tube tops, handkerchief halter tops, moire skirts, peasant blouses, wrap tops, ruffles, eyelets, embroidary, and crochet, you name it! It was like being in Goodwill but all the clothing was new. The funny thing was that the teenagers who were shopping there probably didn't realize that their mothers used to wear clothes like that (and if they did they probably wouldn't shop there). Unfortunately, the clothing sizes didn't seem to work for me, but I'll definitely try again sometime soon. Oh, and the prices were lower than anything on the Avenue -- very reasonable.

BTW, shopping by bike wasn't too bad. I'm a bit disappointed that Burlingame doesn't have any bike racks on Burlingame Avenue. Maybe I need to contact Maureen (Velo Girl and Burlingame City Planner). I was able to bring my bike into some of the larger shops and locked it to meters with flag pole mounts at others.

4 Comments:

At 7/24/2006 8:54 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

so when the burlingame crit doesn't have a women's 4 category next year i know how to spend the day while my honey's racing!

 
At 7/24/2006 9:02 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Or you can just come over to my pool and erase your biker tan lines!!!

Supposedly the agreemnt with Pen Velo is that they would alternate years for Women 4 and another one of their masters' categories. We'll see if that really happens.

And maybe you'll be a 3 by next June...

 
At 7/25/2006 2:40 PM, Blogger EB said...

They better have a W4 next year. I love that race & I'd hate to have to badmouth & boycott another year...

 
At 7/26/2006 7:05 AM, Blogger X Bunny said...

i am pretty sure i already have another engagement for that saturday and so will be hungover on sunday so it really doesn't matter....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home