more than just another bike blog

Saturday, July 22, 2006

112 Degrees


That about says it all. Women were melting like an ice cream cone in a two-year old's hand. I'd estimate that only about 1/4 of the women who started the race finished. Packs were almost non-existent. Stragglers just pulled out. Ambulances were called. I'm still burning up hours later, my HR is crazy-high and my eyes are bloodshot. I didn't pee for over eight hours even though I've been drinking like crazy since 5:00am. Maybe they need to move this race to March?

On a positive note, my power numbers were excellent on the first lap. I recorded my high one-minute and five-minute power. So, I guess my legs are recovered and I've gained some strength.

Elf, I think you're great and it was nice to hang with you (even in your catatonic state). I hope you cool down and have a kick-butt race tomorrow at Albany.

9 Comments:

At 7/22/2006 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the cheering Lori...almost gave up at lap 4...it was hot!

 
At 7/22/2006 9:15 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

You were one tough cookie, Angela!

"It was hot." That's like saying TdF is a bike race.

 
At 7/22/2006 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks! just think of the tdf racers 90-100 degrees daily, several hundred miles for weeks...wow!

 
At 7/22/2006 10:18 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

you all are tough women

i am a heat weanie

 
At 7/22/2006 10:21 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

You lasted longer than me, Soni. I pulled after two -- shaking with chills and goosebumps everywhere. How long did you make it?

 
At 7/24/2006 7:08 AM, Blogger X Bunny said...

3 laps

i liked being right behind you 3 velogirls at the front for the first 1/2 of a lap.....wish it coulda stayed like that the whole time....!

 
At 7/24/2006 8:06 AM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I wish it could've stayed that way too. I blew it on the back-side. First through the turn and then undergeared and spinning on the hill (stupid me). Moved back to the last 3rd of the pack and never managed to move back up to the front. Maintained position (at the back) into the turn on Manning but lost the pack on the hill. Oh well.

Someday I'm gonna win this race. I've been out there in one form or another since 2002.

 
At 7/24/2006 12:00 PM, Blogger EB said...

Thanks for the help & the kind words and the *ahem* pink pussy :). You guys were great & it was great to spend the afternoon cheering and chatting (as much as I could) with a great group.

Feeling better now, though mentoring the fours race at Albany put me in a spot of difficulty, as Phil would say!

 
At 7/24/2006 6:27 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Okay, apparently the high was actually 114 degrees. Sheesh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home