more than just another bike blog

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Weird Science


Is there a doc in the house?

Yesterday after LHRR, I weighed half a pound less than my morning weigh-in. Seemed logical since I was a bit dehydrated. I actually expected to be down a bit more.

This morning, I'm mysteriously up 3.5 pounds (from my morning weight yesterday, so a net gain of 4 pounds).

This afternoon, I'm now up 5.5 pounds (from my morning weight yesterday -- net gain of 6 pounds).

I'm almost afraid to step on the scale again! I assume this is some form of electrolyte imbalance but I have no idea exactly what's going on.

Oh, and to make everything just a little more interesting, my temp is running just over 100.

Can someone explain this to me? What's out of balance? Too much electrolyte? Not enough? Or is it simply the Coldstone we had after LHRR?

4 Comments:

At 7/23/2006 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your body is holding water specially if you haven't gone to the bathroom - maybe a bit bloated?

 
At 7/23/2006 7:26 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Peeing clear and regularly today.

 
At 7/24/2006 7:46 AM, Blogger X Bunny said...

i don't think you were likely too off on your electrolytes (assuming you replaced properly, etc) but large shifts of fluids aren't unexpected--are you getting a little more towards normal today?

and if you were running a fever, you are either coming down something

or you stayed in the race just a little toooooo long

 
At 7/24/2006 8:03 AM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

The fever is gone and I've dropped two pounds. I'm still up give pounds (topped out at a net gain of seven pounds last night).

Thanks for the advice.

I actually read something last night in the ACSM journal that says when we move into areas of extreme heat, it takes us about 10 days to aclimatize. In the interim, our body anticipates the need for additional fluid (for sweating) and retains water.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home