more than just another bike blog

Thursday, August 09, 2007

things that make you go buzzzzzz

in all the years I've been riding bikes, I think I'd only been stung by a bee twice before (and once was during childhood). come to think of it, I think I'd only been stung once more besides that. 30-something years old and I'd only been stung by a bee three times!

all that changed this year! I think I've been stung six separate times while riding my bike this season. the latest was tonight! I was riding with a client and we were totally pumped on adrenaline from dropping these two parasites on foothill when suddenly, a bee hits me on the helmet, bounces to my optics, and then stings me on the forehead. try as he might, my client couldn't find a stinger, but I know it's still in there because my forehead is swollen and throbbing.

of course, this made me ponder why all the sudden stings. come to think of it, I don't even really remember bugs in CA until this season, except in the wettest areas. and then there's the poison oak! is our environment rebelling? are we being attacked by nature? is it time to run and hide?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 8/10/2007 9:40 AM, Blogger Jeff Moser said...

I suspect climate change.

We had a hornet infestation the previous two years. I got stung more times in 1 year than all previous years of my life. I think I got stung 3 times while riding. Twice they just bounced off and I got a light sting, but once I got one under the leg of my baggy mtb shorts. That one stung me good! I was freaking out and smacking my thigh...probably long after the hornet had flown off!

This year, the seasons seem to have shifted up a couple weeks, and we've had very little precipitation. The hornets have all but disappeared. We did see a return of honey bees though, so that's good!

 
At 8/10/2007 2:19 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

every so many years there is a bad yellow jacket year--whatever cycle they are on--but the dry weather always seems to bring them out early

of course, i don't know if that's what stung you

but that's the local bee knowledge these parts

 
At 8/10/2007 2:19 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

oh, and not everyone knows this, but ladybugs can bite, too....

 
At 8/10/2007 6:21 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Global warming. We are lucky out here in California as on the whole, the state is pretty bug free. I chalk it up to the lack of humidity. Sorry to hear you've been stung so many times this year. That sucks! Stock up on Benadryl.

 
At 8/10/2007 7:58 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I think they are all wrong.

I think it is your sweetness that is attracting those bees, Velogirl :)

 
At 8/13/2007 4:44 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

I love that pic...

 
At 8/20/2007 3:26 PM, Blogger dblrider said...

Folks - the answer is none of the above. The answer is that all the DDT and Malathion that used to be sprayed to kill off bugs is finally breaking down and no longer killing the bugs (after what, 20+ years). Probably not, but hey, it could happen. Just FYI, I manage to get stung every year, at least once. This year, I got two bee stings and four bites from some sort of biting fly (or maybe a juvenile yellow jacket). Heck, last week I had a yellow jacket get inside my motorcycle helmet one morning. Thankfully, I saw it before I got on the freeway and managed to pull off the road and remove my helmet without being stung.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home