more than just another bike blog

Friday, April 27, 2007

the devil made me do it




In all the years I've been riding, I've only ridden Mt. Diablo once -- Thanksgiving Day 2005. That was the year I was recovering and returning to health and fitness. It was a very challenging ride for me.








Today I rode Mt. Diablo again, this time with one of my clients who is training for the Death Ride.









We had a fabulous ride!




The weather was perfect -- hot and sunny (but not too hot). The sky was very clear -- we could see San Francisco, the pacific ocean, my little condo in San Mateo (just kidding about that). We saw squirrels and bunnies and turkey vultures and a garter snake (the last photo's for you, Panda). You could hear the buzzing of the bees in the air (it reminded me of a really bad 70s movie I recall watching as a child). And we were swarmed by gnats for a few miles of our descent (they were crawling in my shimmel -- yuck).


As we neared the summit, I was really excited to climb the last digger. I had to walk the 19% grade last time. Today, I was out of the saddle, pumping, pushing, and not looking to the top. And I made it!






At the top, we met a bunch of tourists -- all who had driven up the mountain and were amazed that we could ride our bikes. We also met Karl, the Park Aide. He rides a motorcycle (he says it's like yoga) and gave me a snickers bar to celebrate my accomplishment (note to self: don't put half-eaten snickers bar in jersey pocket).




More photos here -- Lorri's Mt. D. Photos


Tomorrow I'm climbing Mt. Hamilton with a group of friends.

Life is good.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4/28/2007 1:56 AM, Blogger shawnkielty said...

Wow -- nice ride.

 
At 4/28/2007 5:38 AM, Blogger Chris said...

How did the climb compare to the first time you did it two years ago? Is your fitness level better now?

 
At 4/28/2007 6:40 AM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Love the Diablo climb, and the descent down the top part has been really nice since they repaved it last year. Sounds like conditions were great, and you beat the crowds of the DMD by a day. Great pix!

Ms. Chatterbox will relate to the gnats in the shimmel part. Two years ago at the top of Montserrat the gnats were out in thick clouds. There were still a lot in the sports bra when we got to Barcelona a few hours later. Insidious little buggers.

 
At 4/28/2007 7:58 AM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

wow! a nice climbing weekend for you!

diablo is so pretty. i've seen plenty of taranchulas up there too.

 
At 4/30/2007 9:07 AM, Blogger EB said...

What a cutie! Mr. Man told me the scientific name, but I can't remember it right now. Glad you had such a gorgeous weekend :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home