more than just another bike blog

Monday, March 12, 2007

what if we threw a party and everyone came?

that about sums up saturday's tri-flow menlo park grand prix. beyond all expectations, we tripled the size of last year's race. was it the change in categories? the date? the lure of t-shirts and kisses? who knows! but the bottom line is that we somehow pulled off a HUGE event!

when I got home Saturday night, all numb and tingly from being awake and on my feet for close to 48 hours, I wrote a lovely blog post. unfinished with the post, I fell asleep sitting at the computer and somehow lost my post (maybe it was my forehead on the spacebar?). so, in short.....

many thanks to our fabulous sponsors, especially Tri-Flow who has stepped up to underwrite this event for the past two seasons (along with lots of other Velo Girls programs).

thanks as well to Tom, Alec, Casey, and Jeff. they make me look good even though I have no clue what I'm doing.

to all the many volunteers from the team and the club, who dedicated countless hours in the weeks prior and on the day of the event, to make sure we put on a safe, fun, efficient event! especially of note, the racers who raced in the morning and then volunteered all afternoon -- thank you!!!

to all the beautiful racer boys and girls. thank you for your patience with registration, results, and wait lists.

to Brooke Kuhn, for choosing our race as part of the Bay Area Women's Cycling Association points series.

to all the upper-cat women for coming out and racing with the boys! I admire you.

to all my blog friends who always make me smile. it's especially fun to see all my road-racing friends who I haven't seen since August or September!

to Lauren, for the bestest race t-shirt ever!

to Kim, for taking over at registration so I could extract myself from the computer for a while during the afternoon.

to Anna and Erin, for taking over the prizes so I could deliver girl scout cookies and frosty beverages to the course marshalls.

to all my clients for being patient while I've been semi-absent the past week or so.

and to mother nature, for blessing us with beautiful blue skies and warm sunshine.

we hope to see you all again next year (especially mother nature)!

ps -- results and podium photos will post tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 3/13/2007 6:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had a fabulous time! and dang you look hot! I want that flat stomach, too - wahhhh!

 
At 3/13/2007 7:27 AM, Blogger Itinerant Rick said...

Hey VG - Congrats on the event. It was great, even for one who was not racing. I had a great view of the field from my vantage point between turns 2 and 3 for all the morning races. I love the T-shirt, may wear it work today. Only question is: who gave/received the kisses? ;-)

 
At 3/13/2007 8:42 AM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i'm wearing my t-shirt today!

i had so much fun, it was crazy. i loved working registration. i loved every minute of it.

fun, fun, fun!

you did such a fabulous job!

 
At 3/13/2007 9:34 AM, Blogger Chris said...

There has been lots of talk about your race around the blog world. It sounds like a fantastic event. Great job Velogirl!

I also saw a few pics of you on Lauren's blog. Looking good for sure!

 
At 3/13/2007 11:05 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Lorri,

It was nice to meet you in person, thanks for all your hard work, the races were fun. I'm sure it'll be even bigger next year!

 
At 3/13/2007 3:17 PM, Blogger EB said...

Fantastic race! By the time we were headed out I thought you might like a little eye candy to go with your mintwater, so I sent Mr. Man instead of going myself.

Thanks for the call-ups, too!

 
At 3/13/2007 3:23 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

eye candy -- I'm such an addict! that race was a single girl's dream -- 500 men with shaved legs and defined quads! YUM! unfortunately, 498 of them are married and one is gay.....that leaves just one for me! too bad I was walking dead that day.....

 
At 3/14/2007 2:43 PM, Blogger MoJito said...

Lorri-- you're an inspiration. An awesomely nice too. it's great to be part of your community. :-)

 
At 3/14/2007 4:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for a great event Lorri (and crew)! We really appreciate the W3 race. As you know, it's not often that we get our own field...

 
At 3/14/2007 9:50 PM, Blogger nosajpalnud said...

Lorri,

Thank you so much for mailing my license - I had no idea it was missing.

Great racing down on that side of the Bay.

Jason

 
At 3/14/2007 10:00 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

sure thing, Jason! didn't realize who you were (a blogger!). tired to email you to tell you I'd mailed it but the email address on your reg form bounced.

thanks for coming down to race!

 
At 4/15/2007 11:21 PM, Blogger Velovera said...

Thank you! I got back from a work trip to find the t-shirt in my mailbox. I was so happy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home