more than just another bike blog

Friday, September 08, 2006

speed-dating for dogs


Julie is very well socialized. However, she thinks she's a human. She's with me 24/7 except when I'm riding. I work from home and she meets lots of nice visitors/clients. When I work at the bike shop, she comes with me and meets even more people. She loves people.

Now dogs are a different story. She's friendly for about 30 seconds -- long enough to sniff and be sniffed -- and then she's off to new and exciting adventures. She does well with one dog, okay with two, but cowers in fear when she's approached by three or more.

Our travels yesterday led us to Foster City, where there's a big new dog park right on the bay. It's not even a nice dog park with grass and trees, but it does have these silly little fire hydrants. There's a section for little dogs and big dogs. And lots of dust and dry weeds. We've been twice in the past three years. Julie doesn't like it. As soon as she enters the gate, 10 little dogs try to hump her (gang bang).

Well, I decided it was time to try again. Same result. So, we went walking along the bay, chased the sea gulls, smelled the tide, and had fun together -- just the two of us.

I think dogs really acquire the personalities of their owners. I'm dreadfully shy (really). Last night, I had signed up to go to a speed-dating event in Palo Alto. I knew in the back of my mind I'd never go. I conventiently busied myself yesterday so I had an excuse to back out. Of course, this probably left the male-female ratio a little out of whack -- sorry guys!

Come to think of it, the dog park is kinda like speed-dating for dogs. Sniff a whole bunch of butts and then hang out with the one you like the best!

ps -- j/a the photos are for you and all my other animal-luvin' friends!

9 Comments:

At 9/08/2006 12:07 PM, Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

I wonder what the squirel/beagle cross would look like.......

 
At 9/08/2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Squirrel? You mean the racoon?

Beagles like to hump. Julie was attacked by two different beagles at the dog park yesterday. I think they're really bunnies.

 
At 9/08/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

jdd--you clearly need to get out of the city and learn a little about nature n stuff...

vg--what the heck is speed dating?

sounds kinky.

 
At 9/08/2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Speed dating.....never actually been but it goes something like this. You put 8 boys and 8 girls in a room. You pair them up and they chat for a set period of time (5-10 minutes). The speed dating guru rings a bell and everyone rotates so now you're chatting with someone new. Repeat until everyone has chatted up everyone else.

If you're interested in someone, you fill out a little card. If they're also interested in you, they fill out a little card. If both are interested you're given contact information for the other person.

Probably not very kinky.

Can you see why I'm too shy to do it? Especially since I don't drink.

 
At 9/08/2006 1:08 PM, Blogger EB said...

Ha ha, if you blow it up you can see that the beagle has his mouth hanging open. I probably would too if a raccoon was THAT happy to see me.

 
At 9/08/2006 4:24 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

that speed dating thing sounds a lot like the salsa lesson Michael and I went to recently.

Every 5 minutes or so we had to switch partners...and some of those partners were there for more than dance lessons.

It just made us very happy when we finally were reunited again.

 
At 9/08/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Velo Bella said...

oh, and your animal pictures lately are very disturbing

 
At 9/08/2006 4:27 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I think I'd like speed-salsa better than speed-dating. I can dance better than I can make small talk.

I'm in a weird mood -- sorry for the animal pics. I actually think they're kinda provocative.

 
At 9/08/2006 4:28 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Did anyone else notice the bottom-left is two boy-dogs? Remember that gay dog theory? Makes ya wonder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home