more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

my first bike

This is me on my first bike. The date on the photo is June, 1970 but my grandmother had a habit of not developing her film for a long time, so more likely it's 1969. That would make me 4 years old.

Yes, that's corn growing across the street. That's the house of my neighbor, Sniffen Bellows, who called me "Windy" and taught me how to tie flies. And, yes, I grew up in the sticks.



I vaguely recall that my father won this tricycle on a call-in radio show. I remember going to a toy store to pick it up. This was the only new bike we ever had in our family. It's a red Murray trike.

My cousin, Randy, is six months older than me. But I was a really tall girl and he looks like a squirt next to me. I only had one "kids" birthday party during my childhood. I was seven at the time. There's a photo of all five of us on the couch and I'm about 18 inches taller than all the other kids. I was 5'8" by the time I was 9. I was taller than the only two men in my elementary school (the gym teacher and the principal). I guess the janitor didn't count.

When my mother died, I found my trike in the attic. I decided I wanted it, along with the cuckoo clock and some refrigerator magnets, so I shipped it back to CA. It's got a few tiny little rust dots, and the streamers are a little weary, but it's still an awesome bike. It's sitting in my living room along with all my other bikes.

I like this one the best.

5 Comments:

At 12/21/2006 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that is cool!

 
At 12/21/2006 7:32 AM, Blogger marscat said...

Sniffen Bellows, that kid is tiny!

 
At 12/21/2006 7:56 AM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Sniff (great name, eh?) was married to Alice. He's my old neighbor. The tiny one on the bike with me is my cousin, Randy.

 
At 12/21/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

that's a great shot.

the yard looks fabulous. nice and open . good playing area.

 
At 12/27/2006 12:08 AM, Blogger funkdaddy said...

Cute shot.

...ironic that I stumbled on this post one day after you witnessed Liam on his very first bike ride! I got photos of that too...will be on the blog shortly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home