more than just another bike blog

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

both feet off the ground

I'm not a runner. I mean, I've done a few 5ks here and there, but only because there was some charity event that I did with friends or a team at my old job. I'd call myself more of a shuffler.

But I've been running pretty consistently for two months now. And I'm finally getting to the point where I can run 7.5 minute miles. I know, big deal. It is a big deal for me. I'm a shuffler, remember? I've always been a 10-minute miler, so dropping the pace to 7.5 minutes is pretty incredible. Somehow I've learned how to lift my knees and kick back and my stride has lengthened and I got faster.

It didn't seem to help in the sand on Sunday, but maybe if I'd started running in July as planned I'd be up to speed by now.

So, on the treadmill tonight, as I was pushing the pace faster and faster throughout my workout, I had a crazy thought. I really like running. Maybe I'll do a running race. Just for fun. Or a triathlon. Or maybe I'll just keep running on the treadmill, pushing the pace button faster and faster until I get dizzy and fall off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's a burnt thumb update just for Funke:

The skin on my thumb was purple all day. No blisters but you could tell it was funny. So at the gym tonight, as I got all hot and sweaty, the skin on my thumb turned ashen white. I think it's going to fall off.

5 Comments:

At 12/06/2006 12:55 PM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i'll do a running race with ya, just for fun, maybe.

i've been tossing it around for a year or so, kinda.

 
At 12/06/2006 3:23 PM, Blogger erein said...

Ooh, triathlon! :) Do Wildflower! :)

 
At 12/06/2006 7:54 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

actually, janet, kim, and I are planning to win the wildflower relay. guess which leg I'll be doing.

 
At 12/06/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger EB said...

Eeeeew.

The running, not the thumb.

 
At 12/20/2006 7:12 AM, Blogger Courtenay said...

i am having the same grand illusions (or delusions?) of racing a 5k. maybe next september or october, i am thinking? which conveniently, intentionally, puts me out of the running for wildflower!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home