more than just another bike blog

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

tragic culinary accident

ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!!!

Last night I made some corn-on-the-cob. I love corn-on-the-cob and probably eat it three or four times a week. I still have a little post-it note with the microwave recipe I got from my mother on the phone, which is amazing in and of itself.

See, my mom was a funny lady. My mom was a bit of a late adaptor. My sister gave her a big, fancy microwave for Christmas one year and it took my mom almost a year to find a cabinet for it and take it out of the box. And then it just sat there for another year or so, never being used. My mom kept reading the directions and an entire microwave cookbook, trying to memorize everything! I finally suggested she pick one recipe out and try that. Once she'd mastered that, I suggested she pick something else. I think she started with a cup of instant coffee.

Next thing you know, she was nuking everything and the conventional oven sat dormant on the other side of the kitchen.

I remember one time I almost burned down the house with the microwave. It was 1988 and I was living at home for the summer, working at a local theatre. The production was a HUGE historical musical drama about the life of Mark Twain (he married a woman from my hometown, lived there for 20 years, and was buried there). I worked crazy-long hours and would frequently go out with the cast after the show, drinking beer and shooting pool until the bars closed down at 2:00am. Of course, I'd be starving when I got home, so I'd nuke a microwave dinner before going to bed at 3:00am.

So, one night I'm nuking my dinner (6 minutes if I recall), sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper, and apparently I fell asleep. Unfortunately, I programmed the microwave for 60 minutes instead of 6 minutes and the dinner caught on fire, the microwave melted on the inside, and it set off the smoke alarms in the kitchen. My poor father woke up and was furious with me -- I had ruined their beautiful microwave.

So, last night, I nuke my corn-on-the-cob and when I lift the Saran Wrap off the glass dish, steam instantly burns my entire thumb. I've never had a burn like this. I ran it under cold water for at least 30 minutes and it wouldn't cool down and stop burning. I couldn't sleep it hurt so bad. No blisters yet, but it's still kinda hot to the touch and completely red/purple and I can't really feel anything in it.

11 Comments:

At 12/05/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

what ... no pic?

ewww, on second thought - never mind.

 
At 12/05/2006 11:16 AM, Blogger ~ lauren said...

i didn't realize you could nuke corn. i might have to try that.

i bbq it on the grill, still in the husks. nice and easy.

 
At 12/05/2006 11:18 AM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

here's mom's secret recipe.

for up to four ears of corn....

Husk the corn.

Put the cobs in a glass dish (I use an 8x8) with one tablespoon of water. Cover with Saran Wrap.

Nuke on high 12 minutes.

Voila!

Don't burn yourself!

 
At 12/05/2006 12:13 PM, Blogger X Bunny said...

i hope the vertigo is gone, at least

 
At 12/05/2006 12:21 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

XB -- still had a bit of vertigo this weekend. I just spun in my office chair as a test and no problems so maybe it's resolved.

 
At 12/05/2006 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'll have to try your mom's secret recipe.
I love corn!!!

 
At 12/05/2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Ippoc Amic said...

i burnt a slice of pizza in the microwave once, and on airplane trip, i cut myself with a plastic knife...i'm not so good in the kitchen or with plastic ware...

 
At 12/05/2006 4:13 PM, Blogger jAndy donka-donk said...

I love corn on the cob.....

but I hate flossing

and burns for that matter

 
At 12/05/2006 5:01 PM, Blogger funkdaddy said...

burnt fingers, thyca, vertigo...

i'm lost, is this the Kaiser-Permanente help forum?

see, i've got this rash...

 
At 12/05/2006 5:49 PM, Blogger Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

no funke, I'm just a hypochondriac!

 
At 12/05/2006 7:43 PM, Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

kaiser help forum ... excellent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home