more than just another bike blog

Friday, March 12, 2004

The Bottom of the Food Chain

That's what I feel like sometimes. Right now I'm having a down moment. Just read Giana's email from her first day riding in Spain and it scared the shit out of me. What the hell am I doing going to ride in Spain? I'm in no shape to do this and it's just going to be a humiliating experience. I got so upset thinking about it that I cried. Anyways, maybe I'm just tired. Or frustrated.

I felt great on my ride today, but still always the slowest rider. Rode with Dawn, Norma, and Marcie. I know not to compare myself to anyone else, but of course I do. It's so frustrating to have lost so much fitness, but this just makes me hungrier to train and excel. I am improving. I have muscles in my legs again. Dawn even commented on it when I was out of the saddle today. I think I need to train alone for a while before I try to train with others from the team right now. It just depresses me too much.

Anyways, today was supposed to be a free-ride (no HRM) for three hours. Another super-busy day and I only had time to get in 2:15. Sorry, Giana. I'll make up for it tomorrow. I've been feeling so strong that I actually suggested we climb Page Mill. Did okay, but of course was the last up. But I did it. In my double. It was a challenging route but I do feel much stronger.

I'm able to stand more as I ride and feeling very comfortable with jumps and short power climbs. For a while I was feeling awkward standing and worried that I didn't have enough strength, but I'm good now.

Ride stats: 2:14:52 -- 33.24 miles -- 14.7 avg -- 35.1 max -- AVG HR = 133, MAX HR = 162 (but again, I would think AVG would be higher since I was in the 140s and 150s for much of the ride. I wonder if my 15 minutes of warm-up and cool-down affect average that much).

Thursday, March 11th -- 60 minutes in zone 2 (active recovery). I actually like having a recovery ride mid-week. Made me feel fresh and strong and ready to go for the next day. I had to drop my car at Fast Signs, so I rode over to the bay and did the Bay Trail. Flat with just a couple of bumps, but a headwind on the northbound section. Felt good. Did a handful of jumps just because.

Ride Stats: 1:02:45 -- 16.6 miles -- 15.9 avg -- 23.5 max -- AVG HR = 125, MAX HR = 148.

Note on core: Giana has me scheduled to do core work three times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'm suffering a bit from DOMS every session and am going to take 48 hours recovery between sessions. Was still sore on Thursday from Monday's session, so I'll do core tonight and then shoot for Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home