more than just another bike blog

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Dinner with the Simpsons

No, not Homer.....Tom and Becky and their two teenage foreign exchange students (one from Germany and one from France).

I love the Simpsons. Tom has been a good friend and supporter since we first met (early in the history of Velo Girls). I remember the day he walked into the bike shop and announced (in his Tom Simpson race announcer voice) that he needed to meet me because he heard I was making history with Velo Girls. A little dramatic, yes, but that's Tom.

Anyways, he's mentored me through the ups & downs of race promotion, dealing with the NCNCA and USAC folks, coaching, running a club, fielding a team, and all the other crap that I do. And he's a good friend.

So, tonight we sat in front of the fire, listening to the rain, while Tom and Becky and I discussed where to go next. They convinced me not to sell my condo and travel the world by bike (at least not just yet).

And somehow, he persuaded me to join him at Hellyer on Friday to whack weeds (star thistle) so all the crazy crossers with our expensive tubulars don't get flats. Fun.



But best yet, I was somehow convinced to be EMT at the race on Sunday morning. I've only been EMT for one race (Coyote Point in December 2002). That was the very first cyclocross race I'd ever seen and I was immediately hooked! I ordered a custom frame right after that, because I planned to race cross the next season.

So yes, boys and girls! If you crash, I get to clean you up! There's something so erotic about scrubbing the dirt out of some random dude's butt muscles. I can't wait. I asked Tom if he had a nurse's cap for me -- he didn't but he did give me a cool chef's hat. Close but no cigar.

ps -- The course is going to be the bomb! I can't wait to ride it.

1 Comments:

At 10/05/2006 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool! I plan to be at Hellyer too! gotta watch the wackiness and craziness - love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home